Godney Aquaponics


Godney Aquaponics
In the village of Godney, with the beautiful back drop of the Glastonbury Tor, Melv and Sal are embarking on a new venture. Fed up with the poor quality of veg in the shops, they have the ambition to set up an aquaponics system to provide fresh vegetables and salad crops for the village, and with a little help from their hens a supply of fresh free range eggs too.


What is Aquaponics??


What is Aquaponics??
Aquaponics is a sustainable method of producing quality food with minimal external inputs. It is a system that combines conventional aquaculture (e.g. fish in tanks) with hydroponics (cultivating plants in water) in a symbiotic environment. Water from the aquaculture system is fed to the hydroponic system where the by-products are broken down and are utilised by the plants as nutrients, and the water is then re-circulated back to the aquaculture system.


Wednesday 14 November 2018

My new office

After 25 years of working for the RSPB, I must admit it felt a little unusual last month when I ended my employment with them. In reality this basically meant that I gave up my office at home sitting in front of a computer to spend my time helping Melv to grow the business - brilliant I was ready to get dirt under my nails every day all day instead of just in my spare time!

In true Melv style - forever building and making sure I was looked after, the building of my new 'office' was soon underway.


Our new potting shed - insulated as well as our house, this was where I was going to spend those cold winter days.

 
It was soon ready for the window and door, again of a good quality to enable us to easily maintain a good working temperature whatever the weather.
 
 
Really starting to take shape on the outside, Melv begins thinking about the inside.
 
 
With the floor painted - a nice shiny red - after much discussion Melv sets to making the work surfaces. 
 
 
The new potting shed is the place where the salads and water cress trays are to be prepared, Melv makes it fit for purpose and begins to build the frames that will support the working surfaces that will hold the trays ready for seeding.
 
 
It was very exciting to see the structures come together inside and I can visualise how fit for purpose it is really going to be, a welcome change from balancing trays on a portable table and compost bags.
 
 
 
The finishing touches...
 
 
 
Shelves in place and a place to hold the compost prepared...
 
 
I couldn't wait - I moved in as soon as possible
 
 

What an amazing place to work to grow salads and watercress, along with a number of other delights as well as prepare vegetables for sale - perfect.
 
 
A brilliant swap for life in front of a computer - the time was most definitely the right time to make the change.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home grown

Now normally with our horticultural hats on when we talk about home grown we are refering to vegetables. But for the first time since we hav...